History of Amarillo College
On July 16, 1929, Amarillo College became the first junior college district in Texas to be organized independent of a school district. The first classes began in September of that year, with 7 faculty teaching 86 students in the east wing of the Municipal Auditorium in downtown Amarillo. The College moved to its own campus in 1937 – the Washington Street Campus – which remains AC’s main campus today. The College has since expanded its reach to include four campuses in Amarillo, with additional branch campuses in Dumas and Hereford.
Washington Street Campus
The Campus sits on approximately 30 acres and contains 20 buildings. Construction on its first building, Ordway Hall, began in 1936. The College’s sole building opened in 1937. Russell Hall opened in 1939. More buildings were added at Washington Street during each of the ensuing decades. The newest building, the STEM Research Center – funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, was completed in 2018.
The Campus sits on a 42-acre tract near Amarillo’s hospital district that opened in 1967. The campus was established in response to growing demand for allied health and occupational technology programs which are housed there today. The campus originally had four buildings with four more added following a bond election in 1994. Jones Hall, the three-story home to the College’s nursing and dental hygiene programs, was added in 2010.
The Campus originated as a branch of Texas State Technical Institute in 1970. The state transferred ownership of the property to Amarillo College in 1995, and it was known as Amarillo Technical Center until 2002, when AC renamed it the East Campus. The campus is home to AC’s Industry Community and offers career training – from aerospace technology and automotive collision to truck driving, diesel mechanics and welding.
The Campus is located on Polk Street in downtown Amarillo. It is part of the Amarillo Cultural District. The building, which had been part of the old Amarillo High School, was acquired in 1973 from the Amarillo Independent School District. The campus is home to AC’s department of Continuing Education and serves as a hub for professional business and industry training, community enrichment classes, and Seniors College.
Community Link is located at 2412 N. Grand Street in Amarillo. This campus offers English as a Second Language Classes, High School Equivalency and GED classes, as well as, preparatory courses for industry-based programs that align with the Technical Education courses at the East Campus.
Everett and Mabel McDougal Hinkson Memorial Campus
The Campus, located in Hereford, opened in 2014 largely from a gift from William C. Hanshaw of Arizona. His generosity precipitated a second gift to AC, this one a 10-acre plot of undeveloped land on 15th Street in northwest Hereford courtesy of the Hereford Economic Development Corporation. AC subsequently purchased an adjacent tract to enable future expansion, and the City of Hereford contributed to the infrastructure.
Moore County Campus
The Campus opened on Jan. 19, 2000. The AC Board of Regents launched a three-phase expansion of the all-under-one-roof campus in 2004, and additions have included a computer lab, auditorium, additional classrooms, and a library space. Additionally, in 2013, the 30,000-square-foot Moore County Campus Technical Center opened in the Dumas Economic Development Corporation (DEDC) Business Park on the north edge of the city.